Aaron Berquist Rotating Header Image

Troubleshooting Upgrade to GP 2010 R2

I’ve been working on installing the newly released GP 2010 R2 in a “sandbox” environment. I ran in to an issue performing the upgrade and thought I’d share it in case it helps anyone else.

I had the GP 2010 client installed on the same machine I was installing R2 on. Rather than creating a new DSN at install time, I simply renamed the existing DSN used for GP 2010 and moved on to GP Utilities.

However, the upgrade kept crashing at the “syExcelReports” step. The crash report indicated an issue with sqlncli.exe.

After trying a few other things, I finally thought about what the sqlncli.exe message might mean. Going in to the DSN setup (c:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe on my 64-bit machine), I noticed that the original GP 2010 DSN I used was using an old version of the SQL Client.

I created a new DSN using the SQL Native Client 10.0 driver, re-ran the upgrade using that DSN, and voila! Upgrade completed. I hope this tip saves someone else some time and frustration as they work through their install/upgrade of GP2010 R2.

 

Post to Twitter

15 Comments

  1. Siva says:

    Aaron, Thanks for the update. I am sure it’s helpful to all…

  2. [...] Comments 0 Aaron Berquist solved a little issue with the GP 2010 R2 upgrade and wants to share the solution in Troubleshooting Upgrade to GP 2010 R2. [...]

  3. Ed says:

    I was running the upgrade from GP 10 SP5 to GP 2010 R2 and receiving this exact error. I used the 32bit ODBC Admin on my 64-bit machine and changed the driver from SQL Native Client to SQL Native Client 10.0 – viola the upgrade got past the syExcelReports step!!!

    Thank you for this info.

    Ed

  4. Ed,

    Thanks – I’m really happy to hear this tip helped you with your upgrade. Good luck with the rest of it.

    Aaron

  5. SriniS says:

    Thanks for your valuable tip. The upgrade document doesn’t mention any thing of this sort. Such a simple requirement, the GP Developers should have mentioned it somewhere. Then again, if they do, it will make it easy and the product will not be anymore Great Pains – it will be Great Plains.

    1. If I had to guess, the folks writing the guide may have expected most people to create the data source using the wizard during the installation.

      That said, I find MORE technical details in an install manual to be better than LESS, so perhaps if anyone from GP support reads this thread they will improve that item for next time.

  6. Danny says:

    Thanks Aaron – I was struggling with this same error for a while until coming across this post!

  7. Wes says:

    OMG, this post just saved my a$$! upgraded DSn to newer driver, worked like a charm!

  8. Anonymous says:

    Same here I will add this post just saved my a@@!!!!

  9. I’m really glad to hear that this tip was able to help you all!

    Thanks,

    Aaron

  10. Just wanted to say thanks. Helped a lot.

  11. Anonymous says:

    That was very helpful. We ran into the same issue and this resolved it.
    Thanks again.

  12. JapNolt says:

    Exact solution for my problem. Thanks.

  13. Vaidy says:

    I had read this post earlier, but somehow forgot to check my DSN when I ran GP2013 upgrade a while ago. Got stuck miserably on this error.

    Thanks for this post. It’s could probably become the most viewed post on your blog.

    Vaidy

  14. [...] crashed. Without spending anymore time, I just went and checked my ODBC DSN setup, as explained by Aaron Berquist on his blog High Dynamics Range. Expectedly, the ODBC DSN driver was not pointing to SQL Server Native Client [...]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA Image

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>